Start your holiday planning much ahead of your competitors and communicate your holiday offers as early as possible.
2. Optimize your site speed for more traffic
Ensure that your site loads faster even at times of traffic surges on holidays like Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc.
3. Create festivity vibes with pre-holiday buzz
Build some buzz by posting sneak peeks of your offers and sales and ‘watch this space’ posts on your social media pages and groups. This helps you to prepare your customers before even you start the sales or announce it.
4. Track and measure your conversion rates
It’s important to know how much you are converting currently to find out what you are missing out on. Before you start your holiday sales, track and compare your current conversion rates with industry standards so that you know how much you can expect to convert during holiday sales. Here’s a FREE CRO calculator that helps you know your current conversion rate.
Product page optimization
5. Emphasize your offer loud and clear
Clearly highlight the before-and-after differences in product prices and use strikethroughs to show how much they save through the holiday offer.
6. Add holiday-specific themes to your product images and product pages
Right from home pages to product pages and product images, create festivity vibes through holiday themes, elements, and icons.
7. Add holiday FAQs on the product pages
Include quick FAQ sections on the product pages that walk through the offer details and steps to redeem the offers.
Conversion rate optimization
8. Recover abandoned checkouts
Last-minute drop-offs at checkouts are inevitable. Recover your abandoned carts and improve checkouts through effective cart optimization techniques. This shopping cart audit helps you to quickly fix your cart issues and power your checkout experience.
9. Advertise offers on hero images and banners
Use the top-most folds of your home page, product pages, category sections to advertise your holiday sales and primary offers.
10. Assess your customer behavior and improve
Use analytics to track, measure, and improve your customer behavior on your eCommerce site. Reflect on what’s working during the holiday sales and fine-tune the ones that don’t go well.
11. Optimize your checkout experience
Ensure you provide a clean, smooth, and fast checkout experience with minimal steps, easy and fast-loading forms, and trusted payment options.
12. Offer a hassle-free mobile shopping experience
Optimize your mobile eCommerce for consistent and seamless experiences on all devices. Ensure that your product pages, shopping carts, and checkout pages are smooth on mobile pages.
Inventory & Order fulfillment
13. Prep your inventory with high-demand products
Make early and wise inventory decisions to identify the products that sell well so that you plan to promote them more and don’t run out of stock for them. Shopify has got best-in-class inventory management tools and apps to help you get inventory right this year.
14. Plan your order fulfillment area
You need to organize your order fulfillment area in a way that you have adequate space to quickly access all the products especially the frequently ordered ones.
15. Get adequate fulfillment resources
You will need more resources, delivery staff, and shipment partners to help you fulfill and ship orders to customers more quickly and seamlessly.
16. Align everyone and stay on the same page
Communication is the key to successful order fulfillment. Communicate clearly and regularly with your fulfillment team and local delivery staff to avoid errors and save time.
17. Prioritize orders from loyal customers
Prioritize important orders and fulfill those orders first to show appreciation to your loyal customers. Use different order tags to classify your customers.
18. Organize orders by shipping priority and mode
Ensure that the customers who paid for expedited shipping receive their orders first as committed. Assort products fulfilled by local delivery and the ones outsourced to shipping providers and fulfill them at once.
19. Fulfill based on product type
Consider parameters like product type, packaging time, etc., and, plan, and organize your order fulfillment accordingly.
20. Streamline your order fulfillment process
Stay on top of the entire operations from order entry to delivery. Spot gaps in the order fulfillment cycle if any and fix them immediately. Shopify’s simple workflow automation tools enable you to streamline your order fulfillment.
Offers & discount planning
21. Plan your offers and discount percentage
Arrive at your best discount percentages considering the product margins, competitive pricing, handling charges, and your year-end targets. Ensure that the OFF% should be attractive to your customers and at the same time profitable for your business.
22. Map your Holiday calendar with the products and offers
Jot down the start date, end date, sale prices for each product and every sale so that you don’t miss out on anything at the last minute.
23. Provide shareable discount links
Make it easy for your customers to access the coupons, redeemable codes, and vouchers. Enable easy and quick sharing of those product or discount links.
24. Pull customers in with a ‘jaw-dropping’ offer
Offer huge discounts on one of your best-selling products and use it as a marketing bait to drive visibility to other products.
25. Drive big wins with irresistible offers
Focus on the one product that is more enticing and invest more in promoting it with compelling offers rather than promoting all of your sales at the same time.
26. Evoke urgency with timed offers
Instill a sense of urgency with live timers and countdowns alongside the offer details to accelerate your shoppers’ buying decisions.
Combining physical and online touchpoints
27. Provide BOPIS options (Buy Online Pickup In-Store)
Extend your service and serve your shoppers in-person on physical outlets through features like BOPIS. Shopify POS helps you with more such hybrid shopping features.
28. Make your store inventory visible online
Comfort your shoppers with real-time inventory updates that allow them to check stock across multiple locations and know what’s available nearby.
Effective email campaigns
29. Start your email campaigns early
Plan your holiday sales email campaigns well in advance and keep your customers informed of all upcoming sales.
30. Use emails to sell your products
Based on your customer profiles and their interests, you can categorize your audience lists and promote hand-picked products straight on their inboxes.
31. Use emails to recover abandoned carts
Gently remind your shoppers about the items that they showed interest in but abandoned the carts without checking out. You may also run some offers for those products.
32. Provide tailored shopping experience with personalized emails
From personalized subject lines with the shoppers’ names to tailored product recommendations and salutations, make your email communication look one on one.
33. Send thank you emails with product catalogs
Shoot out thank you emails after delivering your order as a token of gratitude. While this gets you a good reputation, you can also use this space to promote your holiday sales and catalogs with select products.
Effective shipping strategy
34. Set minimum purchase value for free shipping
Provide free shipping on orders with a minimum purchase amount so that your customers get free shipping while your AOV also increases.
35. Offer Free shipping on product combos and packages
Create attractive product bundles and offer free shipping if the shopper buys the combo package rather than a single product.
36. Offer free shipping on subscribed products
Encourage recurring orders by offering free shipping on select products if the shopper chooses monthly or custom subscription plans.
37. Set minimum quantity of products for free shipping
Specify the minimum quantity of purchase for free shipping and thereby increase your average order value and receive bulk orders.
38. Provide free local shipping and warehouse/in-store pickup
Offer free local shipping and allow the shoppers to pick up from the nearest store or warehouse location.
39. Communicate shipping time clearly
Transparent shipping information at checkout fosters the shopping journey and increases cart conversion.
Chatbot, Live chat & Virtual assistant
40. Convert instantly with a chatbot
Use intelligent chatbot tools to pop up messages with links to relevant and compelling holiday offers as the shopper browsers across the pages.
41. Offer 24/7 live chat
Provide a 24/7 live chat feature to help your browsers with quick and handy shopping assistance.
42. Combine the best of both chatbot and live chat
Redirect the chatbot conversations to support executives and make the most out of human-powered conversations. Ensure your chat executives highlights the holiday sales and special offers.
43. Help your browsers with a Virtual shopping assistant
Virtual shopping assistance is an intelligent eCommerce feature that does the role of what a warm and smiling shopkeeper does in a brick and mortar outlet. Make sure you build a virtual assistant that guides the shoppers through the products and categories.
44. Build a ‘Take Tour’ option for your holiday highlights
Give a ‘take tour’ option that allows your shoppers to take a quick glance at important deals, steps to redeem the offers, holiday highlights, best-selling products, etc.
Making the most out of loyal customers
45. Effectively retarget to your old shoppers
Use channels like email marketing, Facebook, etc. to your previous visitors and shoppers who might find your Holiday sales relevant and enticing.
46. Leverage cross-sells and upsells
Impress your customers with intelligent product recommendations that are relevant to their interests, order history, search history, etc.
47. Provide ‘Buy Now Pay Later’ options
While a buy-now-pay-later feature makes the shopping experience more human, this also helps increase recurring visits to your store.
48. Provide easy installments on high-value orders
As a way to encourage bulk orders and increase the average order value, you can offer zero-cost EMI options with 2-3 installments as a part of your holiday offers.
49. Give early access to loyal customers
The holiday sales might be for all the shoppers but for your regular customers, there should be a priority offer and extra benefits. Remember, they are going to be your free ambassadors.
50. Give brownie points for referrals
Make your customers do all the talking for you, on your behalf and incentivize them with referral and loyalty points for every successful referral.
51. Continue to support post order fulfillment
Provide hassle-free returns and refund support. Engage with your shoppers even after the holiday sales and keep them coming back to you through monthly newsletters, handpicked offers, etc.